Monday, March 14, 2011

The Problem with Princesses

When I was younger I loved Disney. Ok, I still do, but I was totally a Disney Princess girl. I watched all of the movies, had the dresses to play dress up in and the first book I read was the Disney Cinderella one.

I’m not sure when I realized that most of the Disney Princesses were…less than awesome. Cinderella is quiet and obedient. Her fairy godmother does everything that turns out to be awesome in the story. Snow White just makes friends easily and hides in their house. Sleeping Beauty…well, sleeps.
The thing is I still love them! I have no idea why. I stumbled across these pictures from Dina Goldstein and fell in love.
I think its because one of my issues with the Princesses now is that their story ends as soon as they get their man. With these pictures the story continues and shows that just because they got said man doesn’t mean they lived happily ever after.










There are a few Princesses I can justify liking though. One is Belle from Beauty and the Beast. She reads, and loves it! There are so few role models for little girls about girls who love to read. Mainly we get “Math is hard” Barbie (for the record math IS hard but girls could use some positive reinforcement when it comes to more serious matters than shoes). Then there is Jasmine. She kicked butt. She didn’t want to be a princess, or marry a prince. She just wanted to explore and see the world. I loved Jasmine. Last we have Tiana. My favorite. Not only do I love this movie because it is set in New Orleans, has a creepy voodoo bad guy and good music but the main character is awesome. She works super hard, supplies plenty of sass, and has a dream that she doesn’t give up on just because she landed a prince.

I hope that Disney makes more movies where the Princess has goals beyond finding prince charming. They got my childhood heart by pretty dresses, songs, and magic. The can win my adult heart by giving me heroines who don't need any of that.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The funny thing is, not all actual fairy tale princesses were like that. Many of them had all kinds of quests and trials that showed their strength, kindness, and wit.

    I still love the Disney stories, too, and Jasmine and Belle were definitely among my favorites as a kid (but that could also have been due to admiring Princess Leia from a very young age!)

    What did you think of Rapunzel in "Tangled?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't actually seen it yet! Everyone keeps telling me that it's very good though. Thanks for the follow by the way :)

    ReplyDelete