Saturday, March 12, 2011

One is silver and the other's gold



I did girl scouts when I was little. Technically, I was a daisy and a brownie and then a girl scout drop out. When I learned that Teach for America looks for people who have volunteered with kids I knew what organization I wanted right away. Now on Tuesday's I am a daisy and brownie troop leader. Two classes, back to back, of singing and crafting. The funny thing is, not much has changed since I was involved in the early nineties. The song I remembered is still being used! I was overly excited.

Make new friends
But keep the old
One is silver
And the other's gold
A circle's round
It has no end
That's how long
I want to be your friend.

I loved this song when I was little and it's one of those things that you don't forget when you grow up. Lately I have been singing this song twice a week so it's even more burned into my brain. It got me thinking about friends that I don't make time for anymore. Two people in particular came to mind and I set out to right it in true girl scout fashion.

First was my friend Krissi. Krissi and I grew up together. Our parents are friends. We go on vacations together, celebrate birthdays together and had a span of time where we saw each other a minimum of four days a week. Once she started college that changed. I am not a phone person. I hate talking on the phone and avoid it at all costs. We drifted apart and I let it happen because I am stubborn. Recently I got in touch with her and we have started hanging out again. Our mom's already have a weekend planned for the four of us to go on a mini vacation. I feel like an idiot for almost letting one of my best friends slip away.

Then was Sarah. Sarah is my future roommate. We went to high school together but never really hit it off until college. I can talk to Sarah about anything and get absolutely no judgement for it. Last night me and Branden went out to Clifton to see her boyfriends band play. The band was bad but I had a blast. It was just like every time we hang out. We drink, talk outside while she smokes, and laugh about highly inappropriate inside jokes.

With my life its not the new friends that come in between me and my old friends, its my life in general. I get carried away and tend to bite off more than I can chew. One of the things I have learned about my friends is that they know me, they know I do this and they will be there for me once I step back and start to breathe again.

No comments:

Post a Comment